Wednesday, February 27, 2013

RIP Boys- Gone too soon

When the Amber Alert went off last night while Brian and I were watching television. I stopped, I listened and waited for the details as I always do to make sure I don't know the parties involved and to just be aware because you never know.  I admittedly don't worry as much when I hear its a family member or custodial parent, because the kids are rarely in danger. It's usually just someone who didn't get the kids back in time from a scheduled visit or decided they are taking off with their child. I am not condoning those instances, I'm just saying for the most part the kids are not in danger.

Today is a very different day. Alton and Ashton Perry went to daycare like I'm sure any normal day, but their day would end very differently. At the time of this writing there is not real answer as to why their Grandmother did what she did. The parents stated that the grandmother, Debra Denison suffered from mental illness and owned a gun.  Details will emerge in the coming hours and days and possibly weeks. 

I won't judge those parents for letting their mother/mother in law pick up the children. I don't know that I would have made the same choices but I am not a part of these peoples lives. I do not know what goes on in this family's life.  You have to believe that the grandmother was doing well with her illness to some degree otherwise why on earth would the parents allow her to have that kind of access to them.

I guess we have to wait and see. Regardless of the outcome. It doesn't matter if the parents were negligent or the Grandmother was mentally ill. No amount of commentary, blame, or speculation can bring back these children.

Take the time to take stock of the people in your life and be vigilant when it comes to the interaction they have with you and your family.  It may be tough on a family dynamic to set limits on the interactions between you and those family members or friends that are closest to you but for the safety of you and your children it's important to not turn a blind eye to anything.

RIP Alton and Ashton. A very sad day for your parents, and other relatives but as for you both you are free.


No comments:

Post a Comment